IELTS, the International English Language Testing System, is designed to assess the language ability of people who need to study or work where English is the language of communication. IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking. IELTS is recognised by universities and employers in many countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also recognised by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies.
Choice of two tests:
IELTS offers a choice of two versions: IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. Both versions comprise four separate parts that assess each of the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking. Your choice of either version depends on the organisation you are applying to and your plans for the future.
7 reasons why IELTS is No. 1
- Accepted – IELTS results are requested by universities and employers in many countries, including the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. IELTS results are also requested by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies in the Middle East and across the world. IELTS is recognised by 10,000 institutions over 140 countries including over 3,000 institutions in the US that accept IELTS results. Click here to see who accepts IELTS.
- Available – up to 48 test dates per year at over 1200 test locations worldwide including over 50 locations in the USA.
- Fair – the test that gives you a better chance to do your best. Take your speaking test one-to-one with an examiner. No computers, no interruptions.
- Fast – total IELTS test time is under 3 hours and you get your IELTS results after just 13 days.
- Respected – IELTS is co-owned and was co-created by a global partnership of education and language experts: the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- Relevant – Preparing for IELTS helps you improve the language skills you will need to succeed in your studies and work overseas.
- International – IELTS accepts British and American spellings and includes questions that are fair to everyone.